In business, do you know what your most valuable asset is? Actually in all of life as well as in your business your Network is one of your most valuable assets. Without a network, you basically have no business! If you have a full and growing rolodex that is being nurtured, it doesn’t matter what happens to your company, you can be up and running again in a new business in very little time.
Here is a story about this very thing. Jordan Adler, the top income earner in our business, had lost his highly successful business in Excel when the company went under. When he decided to get involved in his current business he had a huge network of contacts. He started out by just contacting his network and finding out how they were doing. He also started sending lots of cards just to get in touch with people. Now, 5 years later, he is the top income earner! It couldn’t have happened without a solid network or people and a good way of adding to his rolodex. Here are some tips to help you add to your network and nurture it:
- Make it a goal to meet 1 new person each day. Don’t prospect but just meet and make a new friend. Get their address and birthday and add them to your contact manager.
- Start sending birthday cards and “just because” cards to get back in touch. You can check out the card system I’ve been using for my business right here.
- Send occasional emails and make a call to say, “What have you been up to?”
- Reconnect with old friends on facebook and genuinely care about what’s been going on in their life.
- Join networking groups to get to know new people. Find out how you can help them.
- Read Dig Your Well Before You’re Thirsty by Harvey Mackay This is one of the best books on understanding the importance of a solid network
There are many more ways to build your rolodex and nurture. But when you get right down to it, it’s just a matter of making friends and caring about other people. Make it your goal to create and care for your network or people.
To your success!