You may think this post is about MLM Shutdowns; you know, companies that have shutdown and are no longer operating. That’s not what this is about. This post is part 1 of a 2 part series about things that shut YOU down in your mlm business and how to handle them.
I just returned from my company’s very exciting and high energy convention. Amidst the inspiring testimonies and talks, new product unveilings, and energetic panel discussions was a thought provoking workshop on shutdowns. Adam and Barbara did a great job, so I will do my best to encapsulate it for you.
First, what exactly is a shutdown in a network marketing business. It’s something that can stop you dead in your tracks in your business. It’s something the brings your exciting momentum to a screeching halt, or something that keeps you from ever really getting started.
Get Ready, Set, Start!
If you are new to Network Marketing you need to set a good foundation right from the start. If you are seasoned, you need to be a good leader by helping your new distributor’s set a good foundation.
- Establish your WHY carefully. You can review how to do this by reading the post about your why. Make clear and specific goals. If you’ve never made S.M.A.R.T. goals before, you may want to do this with the help of your sponsor. You should do this within your first few days of signing up.
- Treat your business like a business. In network marketing, remember, you are the boss. You don’t answer to anyone. There is no one telling you when to come in to work, when you can take a vacation or have time off, or how to do your work. It’s great to have that kind of freedom! But that can also be a disadvantage in that you may tend to not take our business seriously. If you treat your business like a business you will get paid like a business. You can’t be successful by only doing it sometime.
- Make a commitment to Personal Development. Read 10 pages a day and listen 30 minutes a day to good material that will help you grow as a person and as a leader. The person who works more on themselves will be the most successful.
- Get into Action right away! Do what Adam Packard calls “Beat the Box”. That means to get someone else signed up in your business or helping a new distributor get someone signed up before their distributor kit even arrives in the mail. How exciting is that?!
- Keep your Attitude and Expectations in check.
By doing these things, when the possibility for a shutdown comes along, you will have a good foundation to help you get right back up on your feet! If you are a good mlm sponsor you will help your new distributors get started right to help them avoid shutdowns.
Stayed tuned in for Shutdowns part 2! (what are the shutdowns?) I’d love to hear your thoughts! Please feel free to leave a comment!
To your success!
The Inspired Networker